Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The craftiness of the pirate party

So this is what I made for the party in greater detail.

Each child was offered a bandanna which I made from a synthetic pirate printed fabric. I simply cut 20 inch squares - you could hem if needed, but this fabric was not going to fray so was ideal for this project.

I also found exceptionally cheap eye patches and moustaches to accompany the bandanna




With the left over material I simply top stitched the off cuts - which I shaped ever so lightly - onto bright yellow twill . To make a matching garland



Inside the party favour bag was a zipper pull, which I made using shrinky dinks. If the kids were older and a I had smaller group I would have provided them with a pencil template to colour in and make them up on the day as a party activity.

Like wise with the peg dolls - but the age range at this party was 2- 6 and I had 24 of them. Hence the hiring of a professional pirate for entertainment.



THE PARTY BAGS





To make these beauties me hearties you need

  • Calico/ muslin (a think grade is preferable)
  • Clear Contact
  • Stamps for decorating I got mine from the wonderful yellow owl workshop
  • Ink
  • Grommets
  • Sewing machine
  • Baking paper
  • Pencils

Firstly cut out the the pieces needed to construct a lunch sack I followed the Martha Stewart pattern and tutorial but reduced the sizing down to 5 inch x 17.5 inch for the main panel and 2.5 x 7.5 for the side panels.

I then decorated the front panel using the yellow workshop stamps - I found the mid point - to ensure the pattern was repeated on either side of the lunch sack when sewn up.



Lay baking paper down on the iron board the with fabric right side facing upwards- now cover with contact - and then place an other layer of baking paper on top. Baking paper protects the iron and the ironing board cover!



Then iron - you can use iron on vinyl but it is rather expensive and book covering contact is $2 a roll.




Then cut contact away - basically you are left with a form of home-made oil cloth.

I then sewed the lunch sack according to the Martha Stewart instructions - skip to my lou also has a great lunch sack tutorial (there are quite a few out there)



The only hitch is that the contact is still a wee bit tacky - I have 2 sewing machines one for delicate things and one for these kind of projects - but you do need to clean your needle regularly during this project (I made 24 of them) - I also gave the sewing machine a good clean after I completed the project. Also use a GOOD quality cotton cause this kind of project cause cheaper cottons to break continually

Once bag is assembled I used the zig zag stitch across the top of the sack and then inserted 10mm grommets in the four top corners and fed a pencil through - done. If anything is unclear would be more then answer any questions......


5 comments:

  1. Ingrid that is so clever - home made oil cloth, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bags are so cute! How do you insert the grommets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sew mama sew has some excellent tutorials on "how to" with grommets. I bought the applicator and the 10mm grommets from the hardware store and followed the instructions.

    With cutting the fabric I simply cut a cross rather then cut out the fabric. The applicator had the billygoat hammered out of it - so I did go through two of them.

    There are four of them, one in each corner and I must say this was one of the times I swore during the making of this project, partly because as Australia has limited grommet supplies compared to the US, so was working with pretty cheap products - that broke a lot...

    THANKS FOR YOUR LOVELY COMMENT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been contemplating homemade oilcloth lately, but here you are with instructions! :) Awesome, thanks!

    Heather
    http://www.dollarstorecrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is BRILLIANT! I've been wondering if there was such a thing as DIY oilcloth...

    ReplyDelete