Thursday, June 4, 2009

DIY FELT FRAME

So I made this photo frame out of felt for one of the many babies born to our clan. I was inspired by tiny photograph buried in the back of cotton time a Japanese craft magazine . So here is a tutorial on my version



Tools

Felt
Needle
thread
Snap Fastener
tiny bit of stuffing
Tiny bit of ribbon
Roving wool for dry felting

First I created a template - as I have no compass I used circular objects around the house - my circle measured 16.5cm and the inner circle 8.5cm


I then cut out the front piece from my gorgeous stash of felt from winterwood

Be careful when cutting the inner circle, I used a Stanley knife to make the initial cut.


In the name of economy the remaining circles were cut from ordinary felt that I purchased from spotlight. If I were feeling more extravagant I would use winterwood felt for the entire project - but alas this is my comprise.

I cut two doughnut rings and two full circles


Blanket stitch the inner circle of the two doughnut rings together


I then needle felted spots on the front of the frame - I think stripes would look way cool as well - imagination being your only limitation I suppose.


You need double thickness for the entire frame to provide stability.

Add snap fasteners to frame - position at the top. I went through both layers of the backing of the frame and just through the backing layer of the front of the frame


15cm piece of ribbon which I wrapped around the snap fastener of the back part of the frame


Looks like this



Now blanket stitch the outer side of the circle. Ensure you stitch all four layers together leaving a gap at the top of frame large enough to insert photo. Then stitch front and back layers separately.


You could leave it as is - but I decided to add a little somethin somethin. So a cut out a little bird shape - two identical pieces.


Stitch them together and gave the wee bird a gentle stuffing


Attach bird to top of frame - insert stunning photo of delicious baby and hang.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great idea! I am a Canadian currently residing in Taipei, Taiwan. Tonight I went to the bookstore and found a wonderful Felt Craft Book, however it is in Chinese :o
    Even if I tried to follow the photos, I think I would be lost!
    Once again, thanks :D
    somewhere in Taipei

    ReplyDelete