Thursday, August 20, 2009

The teachings of Mrs Glynn






I made this dress following directions from a Nani Iro's pattern book (ISBN978-4-579-11183-1). I also splurged horribly and bought some of their divine fabric.

So upon embarking back into the world of sewing I took lessons from the amazing wonderful Beverley at Print Charming. However, my sewing teacher from my first year of high school is probably still one of the biggest influences upon me and my machine.

Okay I learnt the fundamentals from my mother and Oma - but it was Mrs Glynn that taught me perfection. Let me add I am hopeless at perfection - but damned if that woman did not try her hardest with me. " Ingrid tack everything - no pins it is lazy and reckless" "Ingrid make a draft copy in muslin" "Ingrid have you measured that hem before tacking it?" "Ingrid you really could be quite talented if you were more disciplined"

Well there you have it, I am not disciplined and so really not very talented - but I am okay with that!

The point of the story is, upon cutting into this amazing fabric it appears the ghost of Mrs Glynn entered me - I did indeed make a muslin copy - I measured my hem - but I am afraid Mrs Glynn I did not and will probably never ever tack again - and I am okay with that, cause really I have never aspired to perfection. Further more I am thrilled with the outcome and have all the amazing women who have taught me to sew, trace, interpret patterns etc to thank.

Mrs Glynn it appears you have the last word, as indeed your instruction has stayed with me and served me well - so the biggest thank you, is to you, this afternoon of yet an other completed project!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the next project and thanks for the chat at the S & C show. If ever I finally get to go OS, I want you as my guide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever you, the dress looks fantastic!

    It's probably due to the amount of great sewing that I witness on blogs like yours but lately I have had a strong pull [as in thread] to re-learn how to sew.

    Yesterday I wrote a post which will feature on my blog tomorrow 16.11 which is all this very topic.

    Felicity x

    PS You know that I love that you aren't going for perfection because your work is fantastic and the more that you tried to be perfect the less of your work we would have! Sorry Mrs Glynn x F

    ReplyDelete